There’s nothing quite like getting a feel-good, relaxing massage after a day full of life’s hustle and bustle. It’s not just a blissful way to indulge and get pampered; a good dose of massage may also help you stay on top of your health and well-being.
Traditionally, the best way to work on all those bothersome kinks and knots is to get a massage from an expert masseuse. Your next best bet, and one that’s way more realistic and convenient, is investing in a top-notch massage chair or recliner.
When deciding which massage chair to buy, your choice will likely come down to your budget and personal preferences, including what type of massage you think will work best for you. Are you into Swedish, Shiatsu, rolling, kneading, deep massage or all of the above?
In this review article, we’ll take a closer look at the 10 best massage chairs available in 2020 and beyond. We’ve done the legwork so you don’t have to spend countless hours researching or trying out different chairs.
Whether you tend to hold stress in your feet, hamstrings, lower back, shoulders, upper back, neck or anywhere in between, you can rest assured that you’ll find the best massage chair for you on this list.
HoMedics Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion
HoMedics, Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion with Heat, Zone Control (Targeted Spot, Full, Lower & Upper Back), 3 Massage Styles (Percussion, Kneading & Rolling), Remote & Integrated Strapping System
- Three Massage Styles : Choose from three distinct Massage styles with the Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion; For a fast, Invigorating Massage choose the Percussion setting; For a deep muscle Massage choose the kneading setting; For a Gentle, comforting Massage choose rolling setting; With three Massage styles to choose from, you are able to Customize Your Massage to Your needs for faster relief from stress, tension, and sore muscles
- SPECIALIZED ZONE Control: Treat Yourself to a Completely customizable Massage with the zone Control feature; Besides selecting the Massage style, you can choose to focus you Massage on certain regions of Your back including Full back, lower back, and upper back; For targeted pain or tension, choose the spot Massage feature to concentrate Your Massage on a Single Point on Your back; The specialized zone Control lets you have Complete Control over Your Massage
- Soothing Heat: The homedics quad shiatsu pro massage cushion’s heat feature will help to further relax your muscles and melt away tension; The use of heat helps to penetrate tired muscles and tissue in your throughout your entire back; Turn the heat on to enhance your massage experience and soothe tired muscles; The heat will help to stimulate blood flow and promote healing
- Easy to Use: The Homedics Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion with Heat is Easy to use right out of the box Powered by an AC adapter, simply plug it into the wall and adjust it on Your favorite chair; This Massage cushion was Designed with an Integrated strapping system s so that it fits easily on most chairs at Home or at the Office; This cushion also has Convenient, Easy to use hand Controls so that you can adjust the settings and Customize Your Massage with the push of a button
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX: 1 Homedics Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion with Heat
Best massage chair pad
Not everyone is willing to blow big bucks on a full massage chair. If this sounds like you, then HoMedics Quad Shiatsu Massage Cushion just might be what the doctor ordered. It’s among the most sought-after massage chair pads, and deservedly so. The free-standing cushion can be set up on top of any chair, couch or any raised surface, as long it is stable and firm.
Like most good quality chairs, this pad boasts several massage settings, including kneading for deep-tissue relaxation, percussion for a quick-relief massage, and rolling for a light massage. Add heat therapy and zone control to the equation and you’ll enjoy a massage session that works out all of your kinks and calms your overworked muscles.
What we liked:
- A good quality, durable and capable massage chair pad for the price
- Excellent integrated strap system means it works with any chair and couch
- Triple treat – customize your massage with rolling, kneading and percussion massage modes
- Easy to use and program control
- There’s no way to recline or lay down, which can be awkwardly limiting
- Not ideal for use on soft chairs/cushions
Infinity IT-8500 X3
Infinity IT-8500 X3 - Full Body Zero Gravity 3D Massage Chair - Featuring Air Compression, Decompression Stretch, Lumbar Heat, and Shiatsu Technique- Black
- Enter a new world of massage chair innovation with the brand new IT-8500X3 by Infinity Massage Chairs. As one of the most advanced massage chairs on the market, the IT-8500X3 brings you high-end features at half the price of comparable chairs.
- This massage chair’s unique 3D technology allows the user to adjust the roller depth from a low intensity massage, to a powerful deep tissue massage, making it suitable for a wide variety of people.
- We set out to create a foot massager that is capable of melting knots away. In each foot unit of the massage chair, there are 8 airbags partnered up with 6 rolling sole massagers. Each airbag is designed specifically to squeeze, knead, roll and swing massage the sole, arch, heel, and ankle.
- Other new features of the IT-8500X3 include Bluetooth capability, a re-designed smaller remote, and six new preset programs. To top it all off, the IT-8500X3 is quieter than ever during operation.
- The heat function is designed to soothe and prepare your muscles for the massage. Heating modules gently warm up to gradually reduce pain and tightness, as well as restore healthy circulation.
The best mid-to-high-end massage chair
If you’re looking for the best mid-range massage chair for your money, then don’t look beyond the Infinity IT-8500X3. It’s pricey for most shoppers, but it delivers high-end features at well below half their price tags. The 3D body scan tech can help zero in on all pressure points on your body and massage them accordingly.
IT-8500 X3 is quieter than comparable models and comes with thirty airbag compression points coupled with complementary rollers that provide variable depths so you can select the right intensity and kneading style for you. The S-mark rail design enables the chair to hug your natural curves and the shape of the spine. Other notable features include Bluetooth capability, zero gravity, multi-function foot massagers, heat function and state-of-the-art control.
What we liked:
- Customizable weight and height settings are on point, offering greater flexibility for the user
- Expect the best foot massage you’ll ever get thanks to calf and foot airbags combined with three rollers
- Multiple body stretch modes are available with the click of a button
- Bluetooth compatible
- Incorporates 4D roller technology
- No memory slots
- Lacks precise heat temperature controls
- No calf heat
TrueMedic Massage Chair
truMedic Instashiatsu 3D Massage Chair - Shiatsu Lounge Style Recliner with Axis Rollers, Heated Seat & Zero Gravity Position - Refurbished & Recertified - Black (MC-1000)
- BODY SCAN TECHNOLOGY: Designed with body scan technology that automatically detects the position of your body and the shape of your spine, while identifying areas of tension to provide a massage that is customized for your body while the S-Track roller system follows the natural curvature of your spine.
- CUSTOMIZABLE MASSAGE: Use the handheld LCD remote control to choose from six automatic programs and three different intensity levels, adjust air pressure, mode, position, width and speed of your massage, and raise and lower backrest and leg rest along with many other features.
- MULTIPLE MASSAGE TECHNIQUES: Experience what is like to have your own personal massage therapist with a combination of kneading, shiatsu, pressing, knocking, and tapping sensations to bring relief to every area of your body. The acupressure functionality targets pressure points throughout your body to relieve tension and ease pain while the compression airbags grip, twist, and gently stretch your muscles for total relaxation and relief.
- ZERO GRAVITY FEATURE: Shift the seat, backrest, and leg rest in increments to find the perfect position or find the perfect position for back alignment while feeling virtually weightless and relieving tension from your spine with the Zero Gravity recline feature.
- FORWARD SLIDING FUNCTIONALITY: Move the seat 4 inches from the wall before starting your massage session to store your massage chair in a more compact space without sacrificing the ability to enjoy a full body massage. The leg rests extend and retract within a range of 8 inches to accommodate users of all heights.
Best zero gravity massage chair for value
This UL-approved massage recliner by TrueMedic is a beast in its own right. A zero-gravity shiatsu chair with built-in heat function, it has up to 32 airbags designed to deliver superbly targeted massage to various body parts, including your hips, feet, calves, thighs, shoulders, and back. Equally important, these airbags will allow you to enjoy fuss-free relaxing moments with 3 auto massage modes.
Other top features include two heating pads, zero gravity technology, extendable footrest, and a space-saving function that enables you to back it up to 10 inches from the wall. It’s available in rich brown or black leather with sports brandings such as New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals.
What we liked:
- UL certified for safety
- With modern design appeal, it can marry well into any living space
- Three auto massage settings, including refresh, relax and stretch programs
- 2 heating pads for maximum pain relief
- Zero gravity function
- Sturdy cup holder
- It can accommodate a person up to 350 lbs. in weight, and up to 6’1” in height
- No music support
- Food padding may be uncomfortable to some people
Snailax Massage Cushion with Heat
Snailax shiatsu Neck & Back Massager with Heat, Full Back Kneading Shiatsu or Rolling Massage, Massage Chair pad with Height Adjustment, Relieve Muscle Pain for Back Shoulder and Neck
$149.99 in stock
2 used from $120.11
- ADJUSTABLE NECK MASSAGE- The massage chair features 4 unique neck massage nodes that deep tissue massages the neck and shoulder to relieve tired & muscle tightness. Massage nodes can be adjusted up & down to the height that allows any member of the family to use this massager. It is suitable for people between 63 inches - 70.9 inches (1.6m-1.8m) height. The shiatsu balls with optional heating function soothe your muscle & enhance blood circulation. The removable, washable neck cover provides you
- SHIATSU BACK MASSAGE WITH HEAT -The back massager features 4 shiatsu massaging nodes travel up and down relaxing your entire back. 3 MASSAGE ZONES for your choices: Full Back, Upper back & lower Back. SPOT MASSAGE function allows you to concentrate the kneading nodes on specific area for pin-point relaxation. The Shiatsu nodes with optional heat function adds gentle warmth to soothe muscle pain. The detachable INTENSITY CONTROL FLAP allows you choose a softer or stronger massage.
- ROLLING BACK MASSAGE WITH ADJUSTABLE WIDTH –The soft rolling massage along the spine combats muscular tension and offers soothing relaxation across the whole back, and with adjustable the width of the massage nodes to custom fit the body. VIBRATION SEAT MASSAGE -The 2 adjustable levels of intensity provides you a comfortable massage to Hips and thighs.
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Use this massage cushion on a sofa, couch, recliner, office chair or dinning chair to make the ultimate comfort seat in the house. The integrated strapping system secures it on chairs in place . UL approval desktop home adapter is included, the adapter is safe to use with both 110-120V & 220-240V electrical outlet.
- PERFECT GIFTS: This massage chair is a perfect fathers day gift for Dad, for man,friend, wife or husband and any your loved ones for birthday, party or Christmas gift.
Even though it’s not a true massage chair or recliner, the Snailax massage chair pad is hellishly compact and can work with virtually any chair or couch with a stable straight back. Priced at a sub-$150, it flaunts multiple features you’ll find in mid-range and upscale models.
The sleek massage cushion looks much more contemporary than most recliners on this list. And it packs top-end features that include an adjustable neck massager, shiatsu back massage system with heat function, 3-zone spot massager, rolling back massager with variable width, 2-setting vibration seat massager, and more.
What we liked:
- Great for home, in-car and office use
- An amazing gift idea
- 15-minute auto shut-off so you can doze off without worry
- Dual-direction use to relax aching shoulders, waist, back and neck
- 3-year replacement warranty
- Not rechargeable, meaning you can’t use it away from a power source
- Ineffective or insignificant heat therapy
- Very hands-on operation
Real Relax 2020 Massage Chair
Real Relax 2020 Massage Chair, Full Body Zero Gravity Shiatsu Recliner with Bluetooth and Led Light, Black
- 2020 Updating favor 03 plus: Add Bluetooth audio play and changing Led light, 6 auto modes, more functional and affordable.
- Full Body Masage:8 massage neck back rollers, 50 airbags placed to the shoulders, arms, hips, calves, and feet, lower back Heating, and foot roller massage.
- Zero Gravity: One button zero-gravity design, feel virtually weightless.
- Customize massage: Use the remote to set rollers and airbags massage body parts, speed and strength (3 levels), adjust the back up and down.
- Comes with 2 boxes, easy to assemble, timer up to 30 minutes, height limit; 6.1 foot, weight limit: 400 pounds. Please check the chair’s size before buy.
Successor of the popular Real Relax 03 Plus, this upgraded model adds six auto massage programs, adjustable LED light, and Bluetooth capability. Like its predecessor, it sports zero-gravity technology, full recline, vibrations, foot massager, heat therapy function, and a timer.
For a full-body massage experience, it comes with a blend of up to eight back & neck-rollers and up to 50 airbags strategically placed across your body, including your lower back, calves, hips, arms, shoulders, neck, and feet. Priced very competitively, it’s a great choice for people wanting to tackle tight or sore muscles
What we liked:
- Great for tight and sore muscles
- Available in 3 beautiful colors that will fit nicely into your interior décor
- Adjustable footrest
- Packed with top-notch features: heat function, zero-gravity function, etc.
- 50 airbags spread across your body makes it a compression-heavy chair
- Best massage chair priced under $1,000
- No actual massage track, so it’s not a good back massager
- It could be a little gentler
Bellmint Folding Massage Chair with Heat Function
Shiatsu Massage Folding Chair with Heat - Features 8 Deep Kneading Rollers, 3 Vibration Settings, USB Port - Adjustable Seat Massager for Back, Neck and Shoulder Muscle Pain Relief
$299.95 in stock
- UNWIND & RELAX: The Belmint folding massage chair is a new innovative neck and back massager that provides compression and percussion through kneading rollers, designed to help you relax and loosen up your muscle knots
- RELIEVE & REVIVE MUSCLE KNOTS: This folding chair back massager features 8 Shiatsu deep-kneading rollers that stimulate your neck and back muscles, to deliver an acupressure massage and relax and soothe achy and tired muscles
- VIBRATION RELIEF: Vibrating function to targets your lower back, thighs, and hamstring to melt away the tension, swelling, neuropathy, pain, and discomfort. The Belmint deep-tissue chair massager is paramount that offers a great massage experience
- OPTIONAL HEAT FUNCTION: The seat neck back massager features switchable heat. Turn on the heat function to improve the overall blood circulation of the body and treat muscle fatigue.
- FOLDABLE & PORTABLE: Our chair massager is foldable and portable so that you can carry it with you anywhere. The armrest has a USB charger for your smartphone and electronics. Makes a great gift for family and friends
Bellmint Folding Massage Chair might look like an ordinary folding chair, but this beast packs a punch in its small footprint. It’s an affordable standalone chair with kneading rollers, heat function, adjustable shoulder and neck massagers, and vibration massage system. All of these powerful massaging systems work in tandem to alleviate swelling, eliminate tension and soothe stiff, aching or sore muscles in your hamstrings, thighs, lower and upper back, and neck.
A few minutes on this seat will make feel like you are in a slice of paradise. It is definitely worth every dime you spend. Besides, it’s highly portable and foldable for easy carrying and storage.
What we liked:
- Armrest has a USB charger
- Lightweight and folds up so you can carry or tuck it away without any fuss
- Gives you lots of control over pattern, intensity and heat settings
- Muscle isolation is a huge bonus
- The 8 independent massage balls offer full-body coverage
- Poor design – it’s just a souped-up fold-up chair
- Not exactly a great choice if portability isn’t your #1 priority
Best Choice Products Faux Leather Electric Massage Recliner with Footrest
Best Choice Products Faux Leather Electric Massage Recliner Chair w/Stool Ottoman, Remote Control, 5 Modes - Black
- MASSAGE + HEAT: Loosen up from top to bottom with heat in the chair's backrest, plus massage points in the seat and ottoman to knead the upper and lower back, lumbar, thighs, and calves
- CHARMING FURNITURE: This comfy addition to your living space also provides an elegant, inviting appearance that makes the living room and more look and feel like home
- COMFORTABLE RECLINE: A double-padded backrest reclines for blissful relaxation, while soft armrest, seat, and ottoman cushions provide optimal comfort. You can also keep a book or magazine at your side with a built-in storage side pouch
- CONTROL OPTIONS: Wireless controller lets you conveniently switch between 5 pre-programmed massages, 9 intensity levels, and 2 modes to get the most soothing lounging experience possible
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Set this chair up in 3 easy steps; simply attach the ottoman footrest to its base, then attach the chair seat to its base before inserting screws; CHAIR DIMENSIONS: 27"-46"(L) x 29"(W) x 41"(H); Chair Weight Capacity: 250 lbs.
If you want to spend under $250 and not a cent more, then you’ve just found the best massage chair your money can buy! Even though it lacks a foot massager, this super affordable gem is quite the performer with nine intensity levels, five pre-programmed massages, and 2 auto massage modes to knead your calves, thighs, lower back, and upper back.
You will appreciate the comfort level and how easy it is to set up. It’s an impressive choice for anyone looking for a compact home couch recliner, footstool, and decent massager, all rolled into one well-designed product. If you’re interested in deep-tissue massages, however, go with another option.
What we liked:
- Wireless controller for hands-off operation
- Easy to set up and clean
- Multiple, high-quality massage levels, programs, and modes from which to choose
- Might have an odd smell that will linger for a few days
- Footrest cannot be hidden when not in use
Mecor Massage Recliner Chair
Mecor Massage Recliner Chair PU Leather Recliner Chair with Heat Rocker Recliner with 360 Degree Swivel/Cup Holders/Remote Control for Living Room (Black)
- MASSAGE RECLINER CHAIR-8 point massage,a heating system and 5 massage modes for selection ,having a full body massage to relax upper back, lower back,thigh and lumbar, each point can be operated individually to relieve stress, address painful tension, stretch shoulder muscle.
- SWIVEL RECLINER-360 degree swivel,the chair can be rotated in a full circle;160 degree reclining for optimal comfort ,especially for people after a surgery or with back problems.NOTICE:This recliner chair without lift and down function.
- MATERIAL-Made of soft 100% high quality bonded leather ,solid wood frame,and luxuriously thick padded arms/seat/back,it is comfortable enough to spend hours in it, especially for people after a surgery or with back problems.
- ASSEMBLE STEPS-Recliner chair come in 4 pieces:1 Back+1 Seat+2 Arms.Installation Steps: Slip 2 Arm parts onto the seat base, next slip the back part onto the base,then you're complete!
- DIMENSION-33" Lx33.5"W x42" H, Seat Dimension:21.5"W x20.5"D, Weight Capacity: 330lbs
If you prefer recliner chairs, the Mecor Massage Recliner Chair is another worthy option that will marry well with traditional furniture. It could be the perfect buy for the recreational room in your house. With such a low price, you could buy two, so you can kick back and relax with your partner.
The recliner has earned heaps of praise for its outstanding PU leather construction, heat function, 8-point massage system, and 360-degree swivel. You can also choose from among 5 massage modes, allowing you to receive a relaxing massage for your lumbar, thigh, lower back, and upper back.
What we liked:
- Elegant and posh design
- Armrests are padded for extra comfort
- Do more while getting a massage – swivel, recline, rock or just sit
- 2 cup holders and 3 pockets offer additional storage
- Mid-range quality of massage at best
- Footrest not well-padded
WOVTE Massage Chair
|Is Adult Product||1|
This magnificent faux-leather massage chair offers full-body airbag massaging so you can unwind, relax, and de-stress after a hard day’s work. It’s a perfect buy for any rec room, bedroom or living room because the dark upholstery will go nicely with other furniture in the space.
This massage chair is ideal for anyone suffering from neck, back or leg fatigue. With heat function, 3-stage zero gravity, 4-button control, and six massage modes, including shiatsu, air pressure, vibrating, rolling, and kneading, you can focus on aching shoulders, buttocks, calves, and arms.
What we liked:
- Faux leather is super easy to clean and maintain
- Rich, high-quality upholstery is elegant
- Combines vibrations with heat therapy for optimal pain and muscle relief
- Includes foot rollers to relieve achy, sore or tired feet
- Easy-to-use remote control with a convenient storage pocket
- Has both manual and auto massage modes
- Resets with every stop which can be quite frustrating if you want to start where you left off
- Needs to be assembled before use
Massage Chair by OOTORI,3D SL
Massage Chair by OOTORI,3D SL-Track Thai Yoga Stretching Zero Gravity Massage Chair,Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chairs Recliner with Tapping, Heating and Foot Roller Massager (Black).
- 【SL-track Technology&3D Robert Hand】 L-tracks are all the rage in the industry and the RL900 massage chair has one! It boasts a 50" roller track length from back to thigh. The design of the roller system allows the rollers to actually hit the gluteal and pirifomris muscles, in many cases helping some sciatica issues.3D robert hand technology is applied in the RL900 massage chair, combining your knocking, hitting, tapping and other ways to massage your shoulders to the thigh
- 【Zero-Gravity&Space Saving】Press the zero-gravity button to adjust the optimal position by elevating your feet to 10cm higher than your head, and 20cm higher than the heart, effectively alleviate the pressure on the vertebrae, relieving the discomfort of back pain, give your heart a holiday.It also allows just about 2 inches between the shiatsu massager and wall. When starting, the chair body will slide forward to leave much space for you
- 【Shoulder Width Adjustable&Leg Stretching】The electric massage Rollers are adjustable for different shoulder width, it measures 1.57" to 8.27" with 3 levels. Then the calves massage part can stretch to 4.72" to fit for different body height.
- 【6 Auto Program& Airbag Massage 】Featuring 6 automatic massage programs with gentle yet firm massage rollers and air massage for your shoulders, arms,thighs & calves. Manually choose from 3 targeted massage areas, 3 massage speeds, and 3 levels of airbag massage intensity so you get relief for the areas you need it most.
- 【Foot Roller &Bluetooth connective】Mechanical Foot Rollers - Rollers under your feet rotate forward and back to stimulate your reflexology zones. You will feel like a new person after this experience.BlueTooth Connectivity - You can connect your phone or device to the Lohas and listen to your playlist over the chair's speaker system.
Best massage chair overall
In a marketplace filled with knock-offs and astonishingly expensive imitations, OOTORI is the best massage chair, pound for pound. It’s a well-designed L-track framed chair fitted with an air-cell and four-roller massage system that works amazingly well on your hips, waist, arms, and shoulders.
Thanks to its ergonomic design, this FDA-registered medical device is super quiet, surprisingly compact, and comes with a raft of high-end features, including heat therapy, 3D massage, zero gravity technology, dual foot rollers, 12 auto programs, memory function, arm airbags, and space-saving technology. It’s best for SH-Chiro, yoga-stretching, and Shiatsu massage therapies.
What we liked:
- Comes with 12 auto-massage modes, including yoga-stretching and full shiatsu
- 3D body scan
- Space-saving technology means it’s impressively space-conscious
- Best value for money
- Outstanding arm air massage
- Great for seniors
- The arm slots may be a little uncomfortable for some users
How to Choose the Right Massage Chair for You
In a market flooded by hundreds of brands with more frequently entering the fray, it can be difficult to find a good quality massage chair among so many no-name knock-offs. Even the most popular massage chairs come in a myriad of styles, price ranges, and sizes, which can make the whole process a bit overwhelming.
No worries, though – in this section, we’ve surfaced important things that you need heed so you can pick the absolute best massage chair for you.
What’s your budget?
Massage chairs don’t come cheap, so be prepared to invest handsomely to snag a good quality product that will deliver great results. In the lower end of the market, you’ll find cheap units value-priced below $1,500, but they typically offer a limited set of features and most use dated technologies.
Middle-range models will set you back anywhere between $1,500 and $6,500. Similarly, they will likely sport mid-tier features such as tri/quad rollers, airbags, among others. You may find a few gems with high-end features in this price range, though.
Expectedly, the priciest of the bunch boasts a set of high-end, robust features and loads of extras that are certain to take your massages to a whole new height. With a price tag well over $6,500, you can successfully bet you will get crème de la crème of bells and whistles.
Often, however, you selection comes down to one question: how much do you want to spend? What’s the price of comfort and relaxation for you?
For instance, if you’re dealing with constant muscle spasms, backaches, and neck pain, then the worth of the chair to you definitely goes high up. If you aren’t sure you will ever use the chair, on the other hand, you might be better off skipping the purchase altogether.
What’s your primary motivation for making the purchase?
For most people, massage chairs are just the best way to kick back, veg out, and relax after a hard day’s work. So, anything goes here.
For some people, however, the purchase may be driven by a specific therapeutic need. Perhaps you’re dealing with vexing symptoms related to arthritis, chronic back pain, sciatica, sports injuries, high blood pressure, and so forth. You will need a chair with specific functions to tackle these conditions.
Once you have a budget and motivation pinned down, the next move is to look for features that will fit the bill. Massage chairs and recliners come with a variety of features, all of which can be placed into three categories: core, therapeutic, and convenience.
Core features include primary technologies such as massage tracks, roller adjustment method, air massages, and controls.
Therapeutic features to keep in mind include Zero-G seating (which is present in about a third of chairs), deep tissue massage, foot massage, body stretch, zone/point massage, and heat therapy.
You can think of convenience features as an added luxury. These might include chromo-therapy (uses color therapy to induce relaxation), air ionization, hideaway Ottoman (in which the chair has a concealable foot massager), and extendable Ottoman (length can be stretched to accommodate taller people). Others may integrate MP3/VR music support, memory slots (to store guided massage routines), and more.
Talking of features, Shiatsu massage chairs focus on pressure points throughout the body through rolling, swaying and pressing movements.
Chairs that integrate Swedish massages employ light kneading and intense rubbing to heal sore or aching muscles. Zero-G chairs recline in such a way that your body has zero gravity to enhance your massage.
There is a boatload of features to choose from, but you are not likely use all of them, so it’s crucial that you determine which parts of your body needs special focus. This way, you can pick a chair with functions that attend to these body parts.
Design and size: where do you plan to use and store it?
Often ignored, location does matter. The vast majority of massage chairs are bulky and you cannot easily just move them on a whim. They are likely to clash with your interior décor, so your living room may not be the best place to keep one.
In many cases, a massage chair will end up in a bedroom or home office, both of which usually have limited space. Most chairs feature foot and head recliners, making it inadvisable to place them close to walls or in a corner.
Measure your target room and calculate the amount of space you have available before you actually buy the chair. Some units are wheeled, making them easier to move. If you plan to store the chair when not in use, be sure to look for models with wheels.
Most chairs use balls and rollers as the core massaging and therapeutic mechanisms. Others add airbags and zero-gravity to cushion your body against excess vibrations.
By design, massage chairs are intense in a bracingly comfortably relaxing way. However, you don’t want a chair that’s too vigorous or intense for comfort. There is no point in getting a chair that will make you feel like you are being prodded with rough mason bricks.
The best massage chairs usually have versatile controls that allow you to increase or reduce the level of intensity until you hit your sweet spot.
A massage chair is a complex piece of equipment with much wiring, many digital components, and moving parts, so the chances of things going wrong are very high. Given that you are investing top dollar, there is no question that you want a durable, easy-to-repair chair.
Customer service quality and warranty
This is a huge investment worth protecting right from day 1. Before you purchase a massage chair, determine the length of the warranty and what is covered. Most warranties last between three and five years but make sure the one you buy covers at least parts and labor costs.
When things do go wrong, having responsive and helpful customer support on your side can make your ordeal less painful and stressful. Do a little digging to uncover the quality of customer service for the brand — read online reviews, ask around, and check out user testimonials.
The bottom line is that you don’t need to purchase a chair beyond your means, but do buy a durable unit with the right features that you will regularly use. You can compromise a bit on the look and luxury to garner a chair for a price that’s more suitable for your budget.