Hiking is the ultimate activity for the lovers of the great outdoors. It can help you get up close to nature, break some sweat, and stay fit. However, hiking can be quite taxing on your body, especially if you are doing it on hilly terrain. You will lose a considerable amount of body water through sweating, which is why you need to hydrate properly before, after and throughout your hike.
Whether you’re a veteran hiker or a rookie, it pays to have the right water bottle for hiking before you hit your trail. That’s why we’ve put together a review of the 8 best water bottles for hiking.
Before we delve right in …
Choosing the Perfect Water Bottle for Hiking – What to Consider?
There are several attributes of the best water bottle for hiking, but here are the most important ones:
Medium-High Capacity – Any water bottle with a capacity lower than 18 fluid ounces (half a liter) is a big no-no for hiking. On the flipside, one with a capacity larger than 32 fluid ounces will bog you down during your hike. So, choose one with a capacity that falls between 18 and 32 fl. Oz.
Insulated – Insulation is an absolutely crucial feature if you want your fluids to remain cold or hot during your hike. This is especially important for summer and winter hikes.
Wide Mouth Opening – If you’re planning to refill your water bottle for hiking frequently, be sure to choose one with a decent mouth opening. The same goes if you’ll be carrying something like smoothies or chunky soup.
Lightweight is Great – It’s a no-brainer that you don’t want a water bottle that will strain your hands during hiking.
Durable – Collapsible water bottles are usually ideal for hiking, but are they durable? If this is an issue for you, a stainless steel water bottle should be your go-to.
8 Best Water Bottles for Hiking
Best Water Bottle for Hiking in 2020
Chicago’s own Kool8 company has everything going for it – it comes in a sleek, modern design that’ll simply knock your boots off. Kool8 is double-wall insulated to keep your hot drinks hot and cold drinks chilled, making it a perfect hiking water bottle for both summer and winter hikes. We absolutely love that 20 percent of the profit from each Kool8 water bottle purchase goes to a good cause. What’s even better is that the bottle is not only BPA-free but also fully eco-friendly and long-lasting to boot thanks to its stainless steel construction.
What to Love about Kool8?
- Fully Vacuum-Insulated: It comes with incredible insulation to keep your drink cold or hot as you like it.
- Love Tea? Kool8 is pre-fitted with tea infuser so you can enjoy your fave tea flavors on your hike.
- Eco-Cool: Break a sweat and stay hydrated while saving the planet
- Socially-Conscious: When you buy it, you’ll make a difference in someone else’s life.
- Durable & Strong: Industrial-strength of stainless steel design means no more wear & tear, chemical corrosion or scratches. Kool8 will look sleek and like-new, seeing you through many hikes.
- Great Color Choice: You can choose from green, red, grey, blue, pink (and more coming)
We can’t seem to put a finger on any drawback that comes with buying Kool8. It’s just that Holy Grail of the best water bottle for hiking.
(2) Klean Kanteen Classic
Klean Kanteen Classic Single Wall Stainless Steel Bottle With Leak Resistant Sport Cap 3.0
- Durable and High Quality Food Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel Construction
- Comes with BPA-free Polypropylene #5 cap
- Large 1.75 inch (44 millimeter) opening fits ice, easy to fill and pour; Compatible with all Klean Kanteen Classic caps
- Easy to clean electropolished interior doesn't retain or impart flavors
- Backed by the Klean Kanteen Strong as Steel Guarantee
Hiking means sweaty hands or slippery gloves. With Klean Kanteen Classic, that’s a thing of the past with anti-slip outside cover for great grip. Even better, it has double-wall vacuum insulation, which means it can keep drinks cold for up to 90 hours in hot weather, and keep beverages hot for up to 24 hours in cold conditions. It’s also fairly affordable and comes with a screw cap complete with a handy loop for attachment. The wide opening is great for effortless refilling making it one of the best water bottles for hiking this year.
What to Love about Klean Kanteen Classic?
- Large Capacity: 32 fluid ounces is plenty enough for at least an hour hiking
- Easy handling: Has a carabiner and a loop for easy attachment
- Great Insulation: Double-walled insulated for great results
- Durable: Well-built and will last long
- It has a fairly narrow opening which makes it hard to clean it
- Not exactly a looker like Kool8
(3) Hydro Flask Wide Mouth
Hydro Flask Wide Mouth 2.0 Water Bottle, Straw Lid - Multiple Sizes & Colors
- Newly produced Hydro Flasks do not feature a registered trademark symbol next to the logo
- Keeps cold drinks icy cold and hot drinks piping hot for hydration any time, anywhere
- Slip-free powder coating doesn't sweat and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and convenience
- BPA-free, phthalate-free, and made of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel; lid not leak-proof
- Hydro Flask water bottles come with a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects
This water bottle has gained traction with hiking enthusiasts – and with good reason. Hydro Flask Wide Mouth has a large capacity yet functional and lightweight. It boasts TempShield technology eliminating condensation and the need for a heavy bottom cap. It can keep beverage cold and hot up to 24 hours and 12 hours respectively. Its price might be out of the range for some buyers, though even if it deserves its spot on our list of best water bottles for hiking.
What to Love about Hydro Flask Wide Mouth?
- Large capacity (32 ounces)
- Industrial Strength – It’s resistant to abrasion and durable construction
- Easy to Handle thanks to its slip-free finish
- Compatible with several different lids
- Great insulation-to-weight ratio
- No heavy bottom cap thanks to TempShield technology
- Easy to clean and refill thanks to its wide mouth design
It’s quite expensive
(4) CamelBak Chute
Chute Vacuum is a water bottle that has become a darling of mountaineers, hikers, and backpackers alike. It comprises a sophisticated look, trendy design, great grip, and wide opening.
What to Love about CamelBak Chute?
- Lightweight with sophisticated & functional cap
- Trendy design
- Anti-slip material on the outside
- Easy cleaning
Not particularly good insulation quality
(5) YETI Rambler (18 Fl.oz, www.yeti.com)
YETI Rambler 18 oz Bottle, Vacuum Insulated, Stainless Steel with TripleHaul Cap, Black
- DuraCoat Color that is built to last - no fading, peeling, or cracking here
- Leakproof TripleHaul Cap protects your truck cab or day pack from spills; complete with 3-finger grip
- This Double-Wall Vacuum Insulated water bottle has the power to keep your water cold (or coffee hot) until the last sip
- 18/8 stainless steel construction stands up to even the toughest of conditions
- Dimensions: 9 1/2 in high, diameter of 3 in. Fits standard sized cup holders
Featuring 18/8 stainless steel construction, wide opening, and screw lid, Yeti Rambler is a durable water bottle that’s designed for hiking. There’s also a 32 fl.oz but quite heavy for some hikers.
What to Love about Yeti Rambler?
- Fairly good insulation
- The wide opening means hassle-free refills and cleaning
It’s a slightly heavy water bottle – not for every hiker though it is still one of the best water bottles for hiking, in our humble opinion.
(6) Nalgene Tritan
Nalgene Tritan 32oz Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle
- Tough and impact resistant
- Leak proof
- Dishwasher safe and won't retain odors
- BPA Free
Don’t let the plastic construction deter you from buying this water bottle. It comes in three high capacity variants – 14,16 & 32 fl.oz). It’s also BPA-free, safe to put in a dishwasher, and humongous mouth opening.
What to Love about Nalgene Tritan?
- Can carry plenty of beverages for hiking
- Dishwasher-safe and wide-mouth opening for easy cleaning
Lacks insulation – only for short hikes
(7) Contigo AutoSeal Fit Water Bottle
Contigo Autoseal Chill Stainless Steel Water Bottles, 24 oz, SS/Monaco & Monaco, 2 Pack
- Our lids are sealed AUTOSEAL technology is Leak and spill proof (Yes, there is a difference!)
- For the long Haul : drinks stay cold up to 28 hours with THERMALOCK vacuum insulation
- Carry on: carry handle for easy transport
- Cleaner drinking : spout cover to help keep out gross dirt and germs
- Lend a hand : easy one handed drinking with the push of a button; clean up top rack dishwasher safe lid, hand wash body
Expect this vibrant-looking water bottle to keep your drinks hot and cold for up to 10 hours and 29 hours respectively.
What to Love about Avex FreeFlow AutoSeal?
- AutoSeal Technology means no accidental spills
- Robust design
- Push-button operation
- Commendable insulation
Due to its highly sophisticated construction/design, it is highly likely to malfunction
(8) CamelBak Crux Reservoir
CamelBak Crux 100 oz Hydration Pack Reservoir, Blue
2 used from $31.87
- Offers 20% more water per sip. Lumbar design shifts water weight to your lower back for more stability on the trail
- Leak-proof cap is easier to open and close
- On/off lever lets you seal your drinking tube shut with one hand
- Hydro guard technology inhibits the growth of bacteria in the reservoir and tube
- Big bite valve self-seals after each drink, eliminating annoying drips
If you are looking for a bladder water bottle with a huge capacity, CamelBak Crux Reservoir is your best bet. It’s available in either 70 or 100 fluid ounces. The water bottle itself is leak-proof, self-sealing and comes with anti-microbial tech for utmost sanitation.
What to Love about CamelBak Crux Reservoir?
- Extra-large capacity
- Large bite valve for easy sipping
- Antimicrobial technology
- No insulation
- Might seem tacky if not handled well
Interested in exploring more water bottles? Also check out our article on: 10 Best Water Bottles: EcoFriendly, Light & Modern
You Might Also Like: