Hiking is the ultimate activity for the lovers of the great outdoors. It can help you get up close to nature, break some sweat, and stay fit. However, hiking can be quite taxing on your body, especially if you are doing it on hilly terrain. You will lose a considerable amount of body water through sweating, which is why you need to hydrate properly before, after and throughout your hike.
Whether you’re a veteran hiker or a rookie, it pays to have the right water bottle for hiking before you hit your trail. That’s why we’ve put together a review of the 8 best water bottles for hiking.
Before we delve right in …
Choosing the Perfect Water Bottle for Hiking – What to Consider?
There are several attributes of the best water bottle for hiking, but here are the most important ones:
Medium-High Capacity – Any water bottle with a capacity lower than 18 fluid ounces (half a liter) is a big no-no for hiking. On the flipside, one with a capacity larger than 32 fluid ounces will bog you down during your hike. So, choose one with a capacity that falls between 18 and 32 fl. Oz.
Insulated – Insulation is an absolutely crucial feature if you want your fluids to remain cold or hot during your hike. This is especially important for summer and winter hikes.
Wide Mouth Opening – If you’re planning to refill your water bottle for hiking frequently, be sure to choose one with a decent mouth opening. The same goes if you’ll be carrying something like smoothies or chunky soup.
Lightweight is Great – It’s a no-brainer that you don’t want a water bottle that will strain your hands during hiking.
Durable – Collapsible water bottles are usually ideal for hiking, but are they durable? If this is an issue for you, a stainless steel water bottle should be your go-to.
8 Best Water Bottles for Hiking
Best Water Bottle for Hiking in 2021
Chicago’s own Kool8 company has everything going for it – it comes in a sleek, modern design that’ll simply knock your boots off. Kool8 is double-wall insulated to keep your hot drinks hot and cold drinks chilled, making it a perfect hiking water bottle for both summer and winter hikes. We absolutely love that 20 percent of the profit from each Kool8 water bottle purchase goes to a good cause. What’s even better is that the bottle is not only BPA-free but also fully eco-friendly and long-lasting to boot thanks to its stainless steel construction.
What to Love about Kool8?
- Fully Vacuum-Insulated: It comes with incredible insulation to keep your drink cold or hot as you like it.
- Love Tea? Kool8 is pre-fitted with tea infuser so you can enjoy your fave tea flavors on your hike.
- Eco-Cool: Break a sweat and stay hydrated while saving the planet
- Socially-Conscious: When you buy it, you’ll make a difference in someone else’s life.
- Durable & Strong: Industrial-strength of stainless steel design means no more wear & tear, chemical corrosion or scratches. Kool8 will look sleek and like-new, seeing you through many hikes.
- Great Color Choice: You can choose from green, red, grey, blue, pink (and more coming)
We can’t seem to put a finger on any drawback that comes with buying Kool8. It’s just that Holy Grail of the best water bottle for hiking.
(2) YETI Rambler (18 Fl.oz, www.yeti.com)
YETI Rambler 18 oz Bottle, Vacuum Insulated, Stainless Steel with TripleHaul Cap, Black
$48.02 in stock
- DuraCoat Color that is built to last - no fading, peeling, or cracking here
- Leakproof TripleHaul Cap protects your truck cab or day pack from spills; complete with 3-finger grip
- This Double-Wall Vacuum Insulated water bottle has the power to keep your water cold (or coffee hot) until the last sip
- 18/8 stainless steel construction stands up to even the toughest of conditions
- Dimensions: 9 1/2 in high, diameter of 3 in. Fits standard sized cup holders
Featuring 18/8 stainless steel construction, wide opening, and screw lid, Yeti Rambler is a durable water bottle that’s designed for hiking. There’s also a 32 fl.oz but quite heavy for some hikers.
What to Love about Yeti Rambler?
- Fairly good insulation
- The wide opening means hassle-free refills and cleaning
It’s a slightly heavy water bottle – not for every hiker though it is still one of the best water bottles for hiking, in our humble opinion.
(3) CamelBak Crux Reservoir
CamelBak Crux 100 oz Hydration Pack Reservoir, Blue
17 used from $22.94
- Crux replacement water reservoir: The camelbak crux 3 liter hydration bladder features an improved ergonomic shape and improved water flow fits easily in your camelbak water hydration backpack
- More water per sip: This hydration bladder features our 3 liter crux reservoir that makes it easier to load and refill; It delivers 20 % more water per sip, keeping you hydrated while you’re navigating the outdoors
- High quality materials: The crux 3 liter water reservoir is made from durable, leak proof material and has a tightened cap that ensures it won’t leak in your bag; The plastic is bpa , bps , and bpf free
- Engineered for convenience: Camelbak has engineered this hydration reservoir for optimal efficiency and convenience; Its ergonomic shape allows it to fit easily in your bags while the big bite valve allows you to intake more water per sip
- If we build it we’ll bak it: Our got your bak lifetime guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles, and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product
If you are looking for a bladder water bottle with a huge capacity, CamelBak Crux Reservoir is your best bet. It’s available in either 70 or 100 fluid ounces. The water bottle itself is leak-proof, self-sealing and comes with anti-microbial tech for utmost sanitation.
What to Love about CamelBak Crux Reservoir?
- Extra-large capacity
- Large bite valve for easy sipping
- Antimicrobial technology
- No insulation
- Might seem tacky if not handled well
(4) Klean Kanteen Classic
Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Bottle with Sport Cap, Flame Orange - 27oz
- Durable and High Quality Food Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel Construction
- Comes with BPA-free Polypropylene #5 cap
- Large 1.75 inch (44 millimeter) opening fits ice, easy to fill and pour; Compatible with all Klean Kanteen Classic caps
- Easy to clean electropolished interior doesn't retain or impart flavors
- Backed by the Klean Kanteen Strong as Steel Guarantee
Hiking means sweaty hands or slippery gloves. With Klean Kanteen Classic, that’s a thing of the past with anti-slip outside cover for great grip. Even better, it has double-wall vacuum insulation, which means it can keep drinks cold for up to 90 hours in hot weather, and keep beverages hot for up to 24 hours in cold conditions. It’s also fairly affordable and comes with a screw cap complete with a handy loop for attachment. The wide opening is great for effortless refilling making it one of the best water bottles for hiking this year.
What to Love about Klean Kanteen Classic?
- Large Capacity: 32 fluid ounces is plenty enough for at least an hour hiking
- Easy handling: Has a carabiner and a loop for easy attachment
- Great Insulation: Double-walled insulated for great results
- Durable: Well-built and will last long
- It has a fairly narrow opening which makes it hard to clean it
- Not exactly a looker like Kool8
(5) Hydro Flask Wide Mouth
Hydro Flask Water Bottle - Stainless Steel & Vacuum Insulated - Wide Mouth 2.0 with Leak Proof Flex Cap - 32 oz, Hibiscus
- Fits most backcountry water filters
- Ideal size for all-day hydration
- TempShield™ insulation keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours and hot up to 12 hours
- Every hour of engineering that goes into each Hydro Flask product we make— it’s all for one thing: to be part of the moments that make life more fulfilling. Whatever adventure you’re planning, we’re in. From cross-country skiing to stories by the campfire. From morning meetings to sunsets in the park. We’ll bring fuel worthy of the moment: wickedly hot coffee, just-out-of-the-cooler cold beverages or water that stays icy cold for hours.Today is wide open. And we’re up for anything.
- - BPA-Free and Phthalate-Free - Compatible with our;Hydro Flip™ Lid;and;Wide Mouth Straw Lid - Lifetime Warranty
This water bottle has gained traction with hiking enthusiasts – and with good reason. Hydro Flask Wide Mouth has a large capacity yet functional and lightweight. It boasts TempShield technology eliminating condensation and the need for a heavy bottom cap. It can keep beverage cold and hot up to 24 hours and 12 hours respectively. Its price might be out of the range for some buyers, though even if it deserves its spot on our list of best water bottles for hiking.
What to Love about Hydro Flask Wide Mouth?
- Large capacity (32 ounces)
- Industrial Strength – It’s resistant to abrasion and durable construction
- Easy to Handle thanks to its slip-free finish
- Compatible with several different lids
- Great insulation-to-weight ratio
- No heavy bottom cap thanks to TempShield technology
- Easy to clean and refill thanks to its wide mouth design
It’s quite expensive
(6) CamelBak Chute
CamelBak Chute Mag BPA Free Water Bottle with Tritan Renew, 32oz, Charcoal
$15.50 in stock
7 used from $10.25
- Magnetic Cap: Stows out of the way when drinking
- Color Match Tether
- Easy to Carry: Comfortable carry handle
- Leak-Proof: Leak-proof when closed
- Lightweight and Durable
Chute Vacuum is a water bottle that has become a darling of mountaineers, hikers, and backpackers alike. It comprises a sophisticated look, trendy design, great grip, and wide opening.
What to Love about CamelBak Chute?
- Lightweight with sophisticated & functional cap
- Trendy design
- Anti-slip material on the outside
- Easy cleaning
Not particularly good insulation quality
(7) Nalgene Tritan
Epic Nalgene Outdoor OG | Water Bottle with Filter | Bottle + Filter Made In USA | Filtered Water Bottle | Travel Water Bottle | Water Purifier Camping Hiking Backpacking | BPA Free Water Bottle
- ✅ SURVIVAL GEAR AND EQUIPMENT: Drink from rivers and streams. Perfect for backpackers, campers, hikers, disaster preparedness kit, day hike, RV, preppers and hunters. Better than water purification tablets for drinking. High Capacity Filters!! Most water bottle filters are good for only 20 to 40 gallons. Our reusable American made water filter bottle survivor filter produces 100 gallons of clean water. Now you can be Bear Grylls on your next adventure and leave your iodine tablets at home
- ✅ OUR MOST ADVANCED AMERICAN MADE FILTER: The Nalgene 32 oz bottle contains our most advanced filter, it removes 2000% more contaminants than a standard water bottle filter or water purification tablets for drinking, including bacteria, virus, cysts, lead, chromium 6, PFOA, PFOS, chlorine, fluoride, chloramine, mercury, VOCs, microplastics, and metals. As dirty water passes through the filter media, ion exchange permanently binds pathogens. Activated carbon absorbs chemicals and heavy metals.
- ✅ WATER FILTER CAMPING: Are you looking for a great camping water filter? This is the one. You will love it, guaranteed. Our 100% money-back guarantee is as clear as our water. Either you love your American made Epic Nalgene Ultimate Travel OG Water Bottle with Filter, or you send it back to receive a full refund. Friendly phone and email support | Promotional discount codes | Dishwasher Safe Water Bottles | Mom says "Best Water Bottle" Dad says "Coolest Water Bottle" Kids call it "Next Level"
- ✅ WATER BOTTLE MADE IN USA: Whether you are looking for survival gear and equipment, emergency water filter, water purification tablets for drinking, bpa free water bottle or prepper gear and supplies, this is the ultimate filtered water bottle. Water bottle made in the USA (Yes), filter made in the USA (Yes), filter tested against NSF/ANSI 42, 53, 401, P473, and P231 in independent certified USA laboratories (Yes). This bottle will have you drinking clearly filtered water on your next trip.
- ✅ WATER PURIFIER BACKPACKING: Many backpackers try water purification tablets for drinking or uv light water purifier only to find out that the water tastes like chemicals or still contains suspended solids. With our proprietary American made filter that uses advanced ION exchange and activated carbon, your backcountry water will taste fresh and safe every time. You can skip the iodine tablets or Bear Grylls survivor filter for this adventure and go with the best water filter camping bottle.
Don’t let the plastic construction deter you from buying this water bottle. It comes in three high capacity variants – 14,16 & 32 fl.oz). It’s also BPA-free, safe to put in a dishwasher, and humongous mouth opening.
What to Love about Nalgene Tritan?
- Can carry plenty of beverages for hiking
- Dishwasher-safe and wide-mouth opening for easy cleaning
Lacks insulation – only for short hikes
(8) Contigo AutoSeal Fit Water Bottle
Contigo AUTOSEAL Chill Stainless Steel Water Bottles, 24 oz, SS/Iced Aqua & Iced Aqua, 2-Pack
- Our lids are sealed - AUTOSEAL technology is leaked and spill proof (Yes, there is a difference)
- For the long Haul - drinks stay cold up to 28 hours with THERMALOCK vacuum insulation
- Carry on - carry handle for easy transport
- Protective spout cover for cleaner drinking
- Lend a hand - easy one-handed drinking with the push of a button; clean up - top-rack dishwasher safe lid, hand wash body
Expect this vibrant-looking water bottle to keep your drinks hot and cold for up to 10 hours and 29 hours respectively.
What to Love about Avex FreeFlow AutoSeal?
- AutoSeal Technology means no accidental spills
- Robust design
- Push-button operation
- Commendable insulation
Due to its highly sophisticated construction/design, it is highly likely to malfunction
Interested in exploring more water bottles? Also check out our article on: 10 Best Water Bottles: EcoFriendly, Light & Modern
You Might Also Like: