At a time when technology continues to improve every aspect of performance, the pedometer is proving one of the most influential devices. In fact, recent studies show that wearable technology may not substitute for performance but it certainly enhances the ability and capability of the user.
As you may know, a pedometer is an electronic device that uses motion detection to count the number of steps being taken by an individual. More specifically, this wearable device can monitor physical activity and enable the user to use this subsequent information to improve or enhance performance.
But why else might you want a pedometer?
You can track steps, minutes, distance, and calories with a pedometer which makes this an excellent aid for sports in particular. However, you might walk or run on occasion and these devices can also add more insight and even enjoyment to the overall experience.
Now, you might be short on time, and for this reason, here’s a quick snapshot of the best pedometers in 2021:
Short Answer: Best Pedometer 2021
Best Overall Pedometer – Omron HeartGuide
Best Sports Pedometer – Fitbit Charge 3
Most Stylish Pedometer – Misfit Ray
That being said, in order to choose the best pedometer in 2021, it’s necessary to understand that individual requirements will always dictate what pedometer is best for your own personal circumstances:
How to Choose the Best Pedometer in 2021
When it comes to the best pedometer in 2021, there are certain features and capabilities that set the more expensive pedometers apart from the rest. That is to say, the best pedometers are usually more expensive and certain extras will always incur a premium in terms of the price.
On the other hand, you may not require many of these features, and choosing the best pedometer is always a personal choice that will depend on your specific needs. For example, some pedometers can count calories and steps, while others will have a much longer battery life.
About Your Budget
As you may know, it’s possible to find a pedometer for less than $20 but the extent of your budget will usually determine the features and benefits of your pedometer. What’s more, the price will sometimes dictate the quality and appearance of a pedometer which may or may not be important to you.
The Purpose of Your Pedometer
For many users, battery life is the most important aspect of a pedometer and this is certainly true for those who take their sports and activity more seriously. However, many devices will last for several months at any one time and a rechargeable battery is often included which can last for up to one week. Needless to say, the purpose of your pedometer also needs to be taken into account. For instance, while you can hold some fitness trackers in your pocket, most such devices are worn on the wrist. Alternatively, fitness trackers can be attached to your belt using a small clip.
Now, let’s take a look at seven options for the best pedometer in 2021:
7 Best Pedometer’s to Consider in 2021
The truth is that the best pedometers are no longer just pedometers. They now come with much more robust and helpful features. Talking of extra features,
Chicago’s own Omron Heartguide is not just an incredible pedometer but also one of the most competent heart rate devices in recent times. Featuring a comfortable and colorful wristband, this is also one of the most attractive pedometers in 2021 and online reviews will often reflect this superior performance.
It’s true, the Omron HeartGuide can produce blood pressure readings at any time and as for the actual readings, the Omron HeartGuide delivers outstanding accuracy at every turn. As if that’s not enough, this clever pedometer works all through the night and monitors sleep patterns to help nurture adequate and improved sleep for the user.
With a smart and attractive LCD screen, you can also expect some pleasing visuals, and this data is easily utilized using the Heartom app. Although this is also a lightweight device, the battery life is even more impressive which is largely due to a li-On polymer battery that removes the need for recharging.
Takeaway – The Omron HeartGuide is an outstanding all-rounder with an attractive display and more than enough features to make this the best pedometer in 2021.
Fitbit Charge 3
Fitbit Charge 3 Fitness Activity Tracker, Graphite/Black, One Size (S and L Bands Included)
- Better measure calorie burn, understand resting heart rate & more with 24x7 heart rate tracking and a battery life of up to 7 days (varies with use and other factors); charge time (0 to 100%) 2 hours
- Choose from 15 plus exercise modes like run, bike, swim, yoga, circuit training and more, set a goal, and get real time stats during your workouts to see how you can keep getting better
- Automatically record time spent in light, deep and REM sleep stages, see Activity trends, healthy insights, and personalized guidance in one place with Fitbit today. Operating temperature is -10° to 45° Celsius
- Swim proof and water resistant to 50 meters, so you can track swims and wear in the shower; we do not recommend wearing charge 3 in a hot tub or sauna; also connect to Smartphone GPS for real time pace and distance during outdoor runs and rides
- Stay connected to your day with everyday apps for weather and more and get called, text and smartphone app notifications on your wrist; small wristband fits a wrist between 5.5 to 7.1 inches; large wrist band fits a wrist between 7.1 to 8.7 inches
Tracking steps is easy with he Fitbit Charge 3 and this is certainly the main objective of the device. With a bright and colorful display, a smooth user experience is guaranteed and there are excellent features which can be combined with the native app. For instance, you can select and “walk” virtual trails in the United States which always makes for a much more interactive experience.
With this in mind, users can also compete with friends that might have the same tracker and or at least log critical data on the app for reference later on. On the other hand, the device itself has just as many benefits and the Fitbit Charge 3 can track cardio fitness, while monitoring heart rate 24/7.
Finally, you can sync the Fitbit Charge 3 with any smartphone which enables the user to integrate GPS features and keep an interactive record of any activity in the outdoors.
Takeaway – The Fitbit Charge 3 is a very popular device and one of the most popular pedometers in 2021. With a slick design and app, this is also a very interactive option for those who want to put a colorful spin on their user experience.
Huawei Band 3 Pro
Huawei Band 3 Pro All-in-One Fitness Activity Tracker, 5ATM Water Resistance for Swim, 24/7 Heart Rate Monitor, Built-in GPS, Multi-Sports Mode, Sleep Tracking, Blue, One Size
- AMOLED touch display: color screen and adjustable screen brightness; full screen touch and home button control - built-in GPS tracks workouts without your phone
- 5ATM: 50M water resistance, pool swim and open water with a 6-axis imu sensor, providing stats for stroke style detection, distance, laps, swolf, number of strokes and calories
- Multi-sports mode: indoor/outdoor run, walk, indoor/outdoor cycle, swim, free training and various exercise types - 24/7 heart rate monitor: provides precise real-time heart rate data
- Sleep tracking: true sleep 2.0, developed in collaboration with Harvard medical school’s cdb center, identifies the 6 most common sleep-related issues, and gives suggestions for better sleep
- Camera remote: doubles as a Camera shutter remote for your smartphone - take better selfies, group photos, and shots at distances without carrying an extra Camera shutter remote
Huawei have a reputation for producing some of the best interface designs on smartphones and this is also true in terms of pedometers. In this sense, the screen is quite large and bright but practicality is always the focus. In other words, you can check and monitor various stats and tabs all in the one place. What’s more, each activity is broken down and you can log individual runs and walks individually for greater insight.
Although priced at less than $100, this is also an incredibly reliable pedometer with excellent accuracy and immense capability. For example, you can use this pedometer to track every stoke of a swim and needless to say, the device is entirely waterproof. Just so you know, there is also a 12-day battery life on the Huawei Band 3 Pro and even with GPS integration, the device can last for more than seven hours.
Takeaway – The Huawei Band 3 Pro has a beautiful interface and great battery life. Also, there are some excellent features which enable the user to gain better insight from some very accurate stats.
The Spire Stone
Spire Stone: Stress Management and Activity Tracker for iOS & Android
3 used from $99.98
- Stress Control: Spire's patented respiration sensor measures your breathing patterns all-day to help you keep control and manage stress
- When You Need It: If your breathing becomes tense or erratic, a gentle notification gives you actions you can take to help you relax
- Calm Down: Unlock the calming power of your own breath with visual exercises and guided meditations
- Keep Track: Follow your health progress through activity, steps, calories, and more
- Know Yourself: Learn where and when you're tense, calm, or productive
The Spire Stone is arguably the most unique pedometer on this list but also one that presents some impressive features. For example, the Spire Stone can track breathing and enable users to identify ways in which to reduce stress. What’s more, there is also a useful app which helps guide users toward a more mindful lifestyle and integrate meditation as part of their daily routine.
But what else stands out about this pedometer?
The Spire Stone has great functionality and an attractive display screen which allows you to quickly check various trends associated with stress and anxiety. In this sense, it may not be the best overall pedometer for tracking steps but the unique design and mindfulness-related features make it most desirable for seem users.
Takeaway – While the Spire Stone may not be the best pedometer in 2021 for tracking steps, this is certainly a great option for managing stress and instilling a greater sense of calm to your lifestyle.
FitBit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker - Charcoal Gray
$189.99 in stock
- About the Product Tracks steps, distance and calories burned Syncs automatically to your computer or select bluetooth 4.0 smartphones or tablets Set goals, view progress and earn badges Share and compete with friends throughout the day Free iphone and android application Sync stats wirelessly and automatically to your computer and over 150 leading smartphones
Fitbit Charge 3 might be slightly more popular but the Fitbit Zip features just as much accuracy and a very user-friendly experience. You can use any type of metric in terms of minutes, distance and steps, while the native app allows users to make the most of this critical data.
In case you might be asking yourself, the above mentioned app allows users to set fitness goals and monitor data at any time. Furthermore, this app can be accessed on laptop or desktop and the device itself is active throughout the night and day. Whether you want to check heart rate, calories or distance, this information is easily accessed and the overall process is very easy to understand.
You can check any metric on the interface and while the pedometer is not waterproof, this is certainly one of the most lightweight, easy-to-use and attractive devices in 2021.
Takeaway – You don’t need to recharge the Fitbit Zip due to the battery but the features and lightweight nature of the Fitbit Zip is arguably the main benefit of this pedometer.
Withings Pulse HR
Withings Pulse HR – Water Resistant Health & Fitness Tracker with Heart Rate and Sleep Monitor, Sport & Activity Tracking
5 used from $83.29
- Heart RATE & multisport - select from 30+ sports with continuous heart RATE, reporting on heart RATE zones, plus daily/overnight hr. tracking and automatic exercise recognition so you get credit for all your moves.
- Connected GPS via smartphone - map and share your workout and exercise sessions with reporting on calories, distance, elevation & Pace.
- Long-life battery - lasts up to 20 days Between charges So you can keep moving.
- Water resistant to 50M - Enjoy automatic swim recognition and having no fear when you shower, go snorkeling or get caught in the rain.
- Sleep tracking - wake to a Sleep Score based on light and deep sleep cycles, interruptions, and more, Plus enjoy a silent vibrating alarm with Smart wake-up.
Nokia made a smart move when they purchased “Withings” which was the original name of the Nokia Go. Featuring a beautiful design and straightforward system, this is one of the most user-friendly pedometers in 2021. You can clip the Nokia Go onto a belt or wear it on your wrist but either way, the accuracy of all metrics is impressive including steps, distance, calories, and minutes.
Although not completely waterproof, the Nokia Go is also water-resistant up to 50mm and the price is extremely good when you consider the accuracy, design, and features of this pedometer. As for power, you will not need to replace the battery for many months and the device is very durable overall. On the other hand, some users report the Nokia Go is slightly difficult to use and it lacks the interface you will find on a Fitbit or Omron HeartGuide.
Takeaway – The Nokia Go is a decent pedometer with excellent capabilities but the lack of user interface means that most users prefer the other pedometers mentioned above.
kwmobile Watch Bands Compatible with Misfit Ray - Straps Set of 2 Replacement Silicone Band - Black
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with Misfit Ray
- SOFT MATERIAL: TPU silicone strap is flexible, waterproof and durable; protects from scratches, wear and tear
- ADJUSTABLE: Band measures approx. 5,9 - 9 inches (15 - 23 cm) and can be adjusted with the buckle
- NEW LOOK: Personalize your activity tracker with these straps or use them as replacement bands
- NOTE: Silicone watch strap does NOT include fitness tracker
The kwmobile is easily one of the most user-friendly pedometer’s in 2021. With this in mind, you can wear this device as a pendant or strap it around your wrist but either way, it offers a seamless experience.
When it comes to the interface, the kwmobile allows you to track steps throughout the day and vibrates when set targets are reached. With a replaceable battery that lasts for over six months, there is also the peace of mind that you will never need to plug-in or recharge the device. On the other hand, this affordable pedometer is without some of the features that make certain devices like the Omron HeartGuide more popular.
As you can see, the Misfit Ray is also a very attractive or fashion-focused pedometer. In fact, this is possibly the most sporty pedometer in 2021 and the tracker tube is available in different colors. Moreover, you can even customize this appearance by changing both the color and material of the straps.
Takeaway – While the pedometer is competent in terms of counting steps, the Misfit Ray is so stylish that you can wear this device with a watch and still look good.
As you can see, Fitbit has some great alternatives but the Omron HeartGuide is most certainly the stand out performer in terms of the best pedometer in 2021. With excellent functionality and an attractive design, this is also the most practical device for most people and also the best value-for-money option on the market. Also, users are always impressed by the battery life and with a highly reasonable price, there is really no good reason to ignore this extremely capable pedometer.